Herrick Community Room Policy and Check List
Adopted May 15, 2007
The Trustees of the Wendell Free Library have formulated this policy for the use of the Herrick Community Room to ensure that Wendell residents have the greatest possible access to educational and cultural opportunities. The Library encourages events that are free and open to the public. Free events have priority over fee-based events.
The Herrick Community Room is made available as a public service. Booking the room in no way constitutes an endorsement of the program or philosophy of the group or individuals using the facilities. The Trustees reaffirm the American Library Association's Bill of Rights, which states that facilities should be made available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliation of individuals or groups requesting its use. The priority of the Community Room is to support programs and functions that further the goals of the Library. When not being used by the Library, the room is available to town boards, committees, non-profit groups, individuals and businesses, for educational, recreational, and civic purposes. The applicant for the event must be a Wendell resident. Advertisements and notices for non-library programs must note that the Wendell Free Library is not a sponsor of the event.
1) Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
2) Application must be made at least one (1) week prior to proposed use. The Library Director will notify applicant of approval within 4 days.
3) Individuals wishing to offer classes in the community room and charge a fee must obtain sponsorship from the Library or other town department, otherwise a room fee will be charged.(See Fee schedule.)
4) All fees will be paid to the Library at the time of application approval. Checks payable to the Town of Wendell.
5) If event is canceled, the Library Director must be notified immediately. All checks will be held until after the event date or notice of cancellation.
ROOM CAPACITY Room dimensions 19’6”x25’ 495sq.ft.
Conference set up (participants seated at tables) 25 people maximum
Lecture set up (chairs arranged in rows) 35 people maximum
Gathering setup (no chairs offered) 45 people maximum.
40 Chairs, 2 tables, desktop lectern, Kitchenette. (Easel, screen and multimedia workstation will also eventually be available. Please ask.)
NOISE, PARKING, SAFETY&WEATHER
1) Events on Sunday -Thursday must end by 10:00 pm.. Friday and Saturday events must end by 11:30pm.
2). The use of an amplification system of any kind must receive prior approval by the Trustees.
3) The applicant is responsible for organizing the parking for those who attend. Overflow parking is located along the cemetery. Parking is prohibited across from library on Wendell Depot Rd and also prohibited along Morse Village Rd. For events that exceed 25 people the applicant must name a parking monitor.
4) For large events the applicant may be required by the Trustees to arrange for police coverage of the event at the applicants expense.
5) When the Library is closed due to inclement weather on the event day, please consult the librarian. Should your program be canceled, notices to the public are the responsibility of the applicant. Cancellations can be announce on Channel 22, and on Townsfolk e list ().
1) Applicant must pick up key and checklist during regular library hours on the library day closest to the event.
3) Applicant is responsible for monitoring children and the pick up of all children.
4) Smoking and alcoholic beverages are prohibited on Library property.
5) No open flames of any kind are allowed.
6) Nothing may be hung on the walls without permission of the Library Director. Persons wishing to display art should refer to the Wendell Library Art Exhibit Policy.
7) Refreshments may be served. (Please refrain from grape juice and other foods that could stain rugs.)
8) Furnishings, floor and rugs should be covered when glue, paint or other potentially messy materials are to be used. Vinyl tablecloths available for coverings. (In Kitchenette.)
9) Materials may not be sold at the event without permission of the Library Director.
10) Group is responsible for its own set up and break down. All furnishings must be returned to original locations. To prevent damage to floors and furniture, please lift tables and chairs. Do not drag across floors or rug!!
11) The Community Room must be left clean and in the condition it was found. All garbage trash and personal property must be removed from premises.
12) Applicant is responsible for all damage to building, books, furniture, or fixtures during groups use of the Library
13) At the end of the event the applicant or designated person must close the building and return the key, along with the fully completed and signed checklist, in the book drop. Please place both in the provided cloth pouch before dropping into book drop.
Failure to comply with the above Regulations and Procedures will jeopardize applicant's future use of the room.
Neither the Board of Library Trustees nor the Town of Wendell shall be responsible for supervision of children, or for injury to persons or property, or loss or damage of property, that occurs while the Herrick Room, kitchenette, or common areas are being used. Applicant will also indemnify and hold Trustees or Town harmless for any injuries sustained during the group's use of Library.
l Library sponsored events – No cleaning deposit or fee
l Non-library events that are free to the public – cleaning deposit only
l Non Library Events that charge admission fee or “donation requested”, fund-raiser events and events sponsored by commercial business -sliding scale fee based on anticipated number of participants plus cleaning deposit.
1-10 people $10.00
11-20 people $20.00
21-30 people $30.00
31-40 people $40.00
41and above $50.00
Cleaning Deposit - $25.00 (Please retrieve fee from librarian during regular library hours after the event.)
HERRICK ROOM CLOSING CHECK LIST
Group Name______________________________________________ Date_______
Number of people in attendance (for statistical reports)_________________________
CHECK LIST FOR CLOSING UP.
· Returned all furnishings to original locations?
· Removed all trash/garbage?
· Wiped down table and counter surfaces used?
l Vacuum and swept floors if needed?
l Returned any borrowed equipment?
l Closed and locked all doors and windows?
l Lights off?
l Water not running?(check bathroom and kitchenette.)
l Brought in “overflow parking sign?”
l Put WMRLS delivery bin in lobby when necessary?
All of the above items are complete.
Signed_________________________________ (Name of applicant or designated person)
PLEASE PLACE KEY AND THIS CHECK LIST IN CONTAINER AND PLACE IN BOOK DROP BEFORE LEAVING PREMISIS.
Thank you for choosing the Wendell Library's Herrick Room for your meeting/event.
Herrick Community Room Application
Date of Event
Type of Event
Expected # of Participants
Refreshments? Yes No
Art supplies to be used:
Amplification Yes No Type:
Amplification accepted: Yes No
Would you like the Library to consider co-sponsoring of this event? Yes No
Application Approved Yes No
Available for your use: Chairs (40), tables (4), table lectern, white board and easel, multimedia workstation and screen, and kitchenette.
Fee per Event _________________ (To Be Filled Out By Library Staff)
Donation (in addition to any fee)__________________
(Cash or checks payable to the Town of Wendell)
I have read and agree to comply with the Herrick Community Room Policy, Regulations and Procedures.
.Signature of Contact:_____________________________ Date______________
LESSEE/USER'S INDEMNIFICATION STATEMENT
I, or The_______________________________ shall, to the maximum extent permitted by law,
(Name of Lessee/User)
indemnify and save harmless the Town of Wendell, its officers, agents, volunteers, and employees from and against any and all damages, liabilities, actions, suits, proceedings, claims, demands, losses, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorney's fees) that may arise out of or in connection with my or my organization's lease or use of the Herrick Community Room located at the Wendell Free Library,
7 Wendell Depot Rd. Wendell, for any damage or injury to persons and/or real or personal property that occurs in conjunction with the lease or use of the Herrick Community Room by me or my organization.
Signature: Printed Name:
Address info at top of form
Wendell Cinema Program Application
(If different from other side)
Name of Movie:_____________________________________________
License agreement: (circle one)
Library Other (please explain)_______________________________________________
Number of People expected:______
check one of the following:
____ Less than 30.
Herrick Room only
____ More than 30.
Requires opening the large doors for additional seating and required library volunteer or staff to be present to assist at program.
Name of Staff/Volunteer who has agreed to be present to assist with event:
Projection Fee for non library or town board event:______________
Donation Collection for: (circle all that apply)
Program costs Sponsoring non profit group Friends of the Library Cinema Fund
Approved by _________________________
Art Exhibit Application
Facts and Policies
• Scheduling: Applications for gallery use are accepted twice a year: in September and March. Artists will be notified of the committee’s decision in October and in April.
• Generally, exhibits run for one month.
• Hanging: The total wall space is about 30 linear feet. There is a chair rail at three feet and a molding at eight feet. There is approximately 140 square feet of available display space. Artists are responsible for hanging and taking down their exhibits. Professional presentation is expected. Artists must use the molding hooks and heavyweight mono-filament provided. No holes may be put into the walls. Push pins or map pins and adhesives may not be used. Labels should be placed on the works of art only. No item heavier than what can be held safely by the hooks and mono-filament supplied may be displayed.
• Sales and Fees: There is no charge for the use of the space. Artists, who wish to sell work, should prepare a separate sheet with numbered art pieces and corresponding price list as well as contact information. Potential buyers will contact the artist directly.
• If works are sold, a donation of 15% of the proceeds to the Friends of the Wendell Free Library is requested.
• Publicity: It is the artist’s responsibility to publicize art exhibits, send out announcement/invitations, and/or provide for an opening reception at their own expense. We refer you to the Herrick Meeting Room Policy for planning and booking your "non library sponsored" event. Be sure to have current library hours and Meeting Room use schedule when preparing publicity.
• Library staff may photograph displays in order to maintain a record of the art that has been displayed. If you receive press coverage, interviews, reviews, etc. in local newspapers, please give copies of the clippings to our librarian for our files.
• Waiver: The library has limited insurance. The Town of Wendell, The Trustees of the Wendell Free Library, and the members of the Wendell Library Art Exhibit Committee may not be held responsible for the safety and care of works on display.
• Limitations: The display area of our public library is open to adults and children of all ages and sensibilities. Displays should be “family-friendly.” The Art Exhibit Committee reserves the right to remove any works that they judge as inconsistent with family viewing. Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.
Wendell Free Library –Herrick Meeting Room
Application For Exhibit
Please read information for exhibitors before applying.
Applications may be also found at www.wendelllibrary.org.
Please fill out form completely and submit to:
The Wendell Free Library
Attn. of The Wendell Library Art Exhibit Committee.
PO Box 236
Wendell, MA. 01379
Deadlines for submissions are September 15th and March 15th. Artists will be notified of decisions by October 15th and April 15th.
Name of Applicant ____________________________________________
Applicant’s Street Address _____________________________________
City / State / Zip ______________________________________________
Phone: Day ______________________ Eve. ____________________
Email Address _______________________________________________
Dates (Month/ Year) most preferred for exhibit ___________________
Brief description of proposed exhibit
(Include medium, e.g. oil painting, photography, textiles;
and include subject, e.g. landscape, portrait, abstract; and any other relevant information):
Your work must be reviewed as part of the application process. See next page for details.
You may choose one of the following options. Please check your choice and include the relevant materials.
____ Send photos with SASE representing either the work you plan to show, or typical examples of your work. For each piece, indicate the title (if there is one), the size, and the medium. A CD with photos of your work is also acceptable. A resume or other descriptive and/or biographical information is optional. Do not send originals.
____ Request an appointment to have your work reviewed. We will contact you to schedule a time. This option is recommended if you have never seen the gallery space, or if photos do not represent your work adequately.
I have read and understand the Wendell Free Library Display/Exhibit Policy and agree to comply with its guidelines. I understand the Wendell Library accepts no responsibility for possible damage or theft of any item displayed and that all items are placed on display at the owner’s risk.
Any questions? Please contact Rosie Heidkamp, Library Director, at the library at 978-544-3559.