The Wendell Free Library is currently seeking applicants for a Library Assistant. The library assistant will work closely with the library director and learn the inner workings of a small library. Essential to the position is an ease with working with the public of this small, neighborly town in the heart of the Wendell State Forest. As a part time position, this is a perfect opportunity for a library student to learn on the job, or for a local library lover to service their community’s reading, entertainment, and social needs. Applicants are encouraged to write a cover letter that tells a story about an enjoyable experience working with people. Please apply by October 23, 2020; send a cover letter and resume to the director, Anna Lawrence (she/her) through email: alawrence @ cwmars.org or mail: PO Box 236, Wendell, MA 01379.
The Wendell Free Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer; we are committed to equal employment opportunities for all, and to provide employees and applicants with an environment without discrimination or harrassment. All employment decisions are made with a focus on job requirements and the needs of the library, without regard to race, sex, sexual identity, gender identity, age, physical ability, mental ability, national origin, familial or parental status.
Library Assistant Wendell Free Library
General Statement of Duties:
Supports and works in collaboration with the Library Director. Assists with library operations including patron services, technology assistance, and programming. Responsible for the public operation of the library in the absence of the Director, following policies and procedures established by the Director and the Wendell Library Board of Trustees.
- High school diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ease of working with the public and an effective communicator
- Familiar with principles and practices of public library service
- Able to use computers in a variety of applications
- Able to work independently and in collaboration with others
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Performs patron services including circulation and technical assistance (troubleshooting patron computer problems, assisting with online library materials, online catalog use)
- Performs a variety of clerical duties, including preparing materials for circulation, catalog data entry, shelving and pulling materials, and understanding and using the multi-function printer
- Occasionally assists with programming for all age groups
- Trades hours or substitutes for the Director or other staff as needed
- Performs daily maintenance chores as needed (eg. shoveling walk, sweeping, rearranging furniture for programs)
- Performs related duties as needed
- $14.53 per hour, non benefit position
- Flexible 10-15 hours per week
- Sundays required during regular library hours
How to apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Anna Lawrence (she/her), Library Director by 10/23
Email: alawrence @ cwmars.org
Address: P.O. Box 236 Wendell, MA 01379