Town Clerk Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a marriage license?

The Town Clerk issues marriage Licenses.

How do I get a copy of a birth certificate?

You can get a copy of a birth certificate from the Town Clerk.

How do I get my dog licensed?

The Town Clerk issues dog licenses. Only dogs are licensed and all dogs must be licensed each year. While cats are reported on the street list they are not licensed.

Where do I vote?

Wendell Elections are held in the town offices, 9 Morse Village Rd, Wendell MA. The building is fully handicapped accessible. See you there!

Town Meeting is held in the Town Hall on the common in the center of town: 6 Center Rd, Wendell MA

Where do I find election information?

The Town Clerk can provide election information, including where and when to vote, ballot questions, and how to register to vote.

How do I register to vote?

There are three ways to register:

  1. Call the Town Clerk to have a Mail-In Voter Registration form sent to your home address,
  2. Stop in at the Town Clerk’s office to register in person, or
  3. Register at the Registry of Motor Vehicles when you renew your driver’s license.

Learn more about voter registration.

How do I apply for an absentee / vote by mail ballot?

You can vote by absentee / vote by mail ballot if you will be absent from your city or town on election day, and/or have a physical disability that prevents your voting at the polling place, and/or cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs.

Apply in writing to the Town Clerk including your name, address as registered, address where you wish the absentee ballot sent, in a primary, the party ballot you want, and your signature.

View state website to download the most recent forms.

How do I obtain a copy of a death certificate?

You can get a copy of a death certificate from the Town Clerk.

How do I obtain a Business Certificate?

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 110 sections 5 & 6 state that any person conducting business in the Commonwealth under any title other than the real name of the person conducting the business must file a certificate. Forms are available in the Town Clerk’s Office. Each person named on the certificate must sign the form in person at the Town Clerk’s Office. Proper identification is required. The filing fee is $20.00 for a new filing and $20.00 to renew.

How do I place a question on our local election ballot?

Local ballot questions are of two types either binding or non-binding. To get non-binding public policy questions on the ballot requires a two step process.

Please see the Town Clerk for more information.

How do I get information about my family in Wendell long ago?

Questions regarding Wendell genealogies and history may be directed to Pam Richardson at (413) 657-3621. She is glad to assist where she can.

How do I submit a petition for a town meeting warrant?

Anyone can petition to have an issue put on the warrant for the Annual Town Meeting or for a Special Town Meeting. At this time, a petition can be brought to the Selectboard for review as long as the warrant is still open.

Speak with the Town Clerk or Town Coordinator about possible deadlines. The language of your petition is important. If you submit your petition ahead of the deadline, the Selectboard will have the time to review it and help you reword it as needed.

Close window